OUR LIVES ARE MADE IN THESE SMALL HOURS, THESE LITTLE WONDERS, THESE TWISTS & TURNS OF FATE.




Sunday, February 20, 2011

My month with Ree- Day 8

So we are 8 days into my "Operation Ree" and I have clearly deviated from the task of using meat in every recipe and now I risk the chance of getting kicked out of my family. When my mother reads this, I will probably get a "family lecture." Oh well, this is a learning experiment and sacrifices had to be made.

For day 8, I decided to make "Restaurant Style Salsa"...big time no no!! I come from a long line of amazing Mexican cooks, and the fact that I would be making something #1. that they serve @ Tex-Mex restaurants (not authentic Mexican) #2. no offense in the least bit, but from a "non-Mexican" website, #3 that it came from a website at all!! I knew I would be in trouble. The thing is everyone loves my parents' salsa. Anytime they make it, everyone wants to take some home, they get requests for recipes, and it never lasts longer than a day. So why in the world would I want to make something that is different than what is in "my blood". Well, Because I wanted to and it is okay to be different. Would I not be a child if I different irk my parents even at an older age?! And, I married Cody, who thinks he is a salsa connoisseur, loves trying different recipes and he loves all types of salsa, so I knew he would eat it even if it was different. I used to work in one of those "tex-mex" restaurants in high school and I remember sitting there eating bowl after bowl of this great, but different salsa. So when I saw Ree's post about it, I thought how great. Not only will the salsa take me back to those days in the booth at work, but it will also be great for the hubby. Which leads me to a combined reason of deciding to try it--my salsa lover and I rarely get to go out to eat anymore so we could get the restaurant experience at home. Yay us. My little chef, Miayla, helped me make this and it was incredibly easy!! It did taste similar to the restaurant salsa, but I think I need to work on perfecting it. (yes, I will attempt to continually get lectured). Cody really enjoyed it and the recipe made a lot for our family. Cody wanted it chunkier, which I told him was not possible because that was one of Ree's big no-no's:) He said fine, and continued eating a ton!!

Restaurant Style Salsa
Grade- B+

No comments:

Post a Comment